Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
On October 13th, 2017, the Information Needs Assessment Project Team visited Oakland City University and conducted one of the methods (photo essay) in our toolkit. A total of 14 students participated in the study. You can view the report from that visit here:
- Students reported a high level of outside pressures including work and family. Many students work numerous hours at off campus jobs. 93% of students we interviewed are full time students, but 43% work more than 15 hours a week.
- Several students shared about locations that they study off campus. This is logical given that 43% of students we surveyed were commuter students.
- In addition to studying off campus, students seemed to largely prefer studying by themselves versus with groups or friends.
- 36% of students mentioned the chapel’s importance to them. “My favorite part about campus is the Chapel.” A “comfortable space, you feel like you belong.”
- Most students mentioned taking notes primarily by pen and pencil instead of typing on a device, even though many students referenced laptops and tablets. Additionally, many students shared that they used a traditional planner for their time management.